11.24.2011

aaaand scene

Current Mood: call me butter, baby, I'm on a roll

I always make myself guilty about not writing here more. So I get here and the only thing I can think of at the time is about what I've been doing. And the only way for me to avoid writing 800 pages is to break up tiny little sections of my life and write about those.

Improv!

So I'm done with the Ship of Fools, and I miss those idiots like crazy. I went from practicing Wednesday and Friday nights (7-9pm) with shows about twice a month to one or two shows a month with practice just before. Old group, everybody was a student who lived nearby, new group everybody is older with family and lives around the state. Old group, people missed a show and we all got worried - usually it was because of an exam. New group, people sometimes are free for some shows, but mostly it's a small core of locals with a rotating group of others. Not that that's better or worse, just different.

Fools are about to do the holiday gift exchange - a tradition I started - for the first time without me. About ready to bring in the first new members since I've been gone. In six month's they'll do the first Awards Show without me, another thing I started. I'm happy for them, I really am. But boy howdy do I miss some of it.

I went back for an Open Forum meeting/practice, and after 5 months it seems like everybody is new! I mean, sure, part of that is I stuck around way longer than anybody else, but still...
Halloween party, where Jenny and I met? Older Fools were mostly nowhere to be seen, and I wonder if I was sort of the connection point between the old and the new?

That would make sense. Renee went to Maryland to go to school and be with Paul. Andrew moved to China to teach. Eric's moving to Indy. Stu moved to North Carolina. Taylor moved out of my apartment. Gavin/Becky are still on Co-Op, so I hardly see/saw them anyway. Brant is working strange hours/raising a baby! Not improv, but other Andrew moved to TEXAS to get his PHD in AEROSPACE ENGINEERING - he's going to be a friggin' Doctor of Rocket Science, how cool is that? Still, I feel like I'm hemorrhaging friends. I miss them, even though we didn't hang out all the time.

Improv! Focus. Anyway, it seems like the group will be okay, at least for now, since I've left, and above all that's what I wanted. Some interesting group dynamics developed but it sounds like they've worked out their problems. Steven told me he finally understood my intense passion for finding new blood, because you roll up and join the group and then before you know it you're a seasoned vet, ready to graduate, and wonder what happened. And that's even though I stayed for like, 7 years.

My sendoff was epic, and I really am happy for every second I was with that group. And my new group is great too, but I think I'm still finding my place with them. I went from respected elder to just...a performer. And in some ways, that's nice, because I don't have to arrange shows or handle conflicts or worry about money or advertising. I just show up, make with the funny, and make a few bucks. Which, admittedly, is sweet.

Would I ever do improv for a living? Probably not. I wouldn't want my hobby to become a job, and I doubt I could do it at that level, anyway. But when I leave Purdue, I think I'll be searching for some kind of outlet - whether that's improv or stand up or even some sort of podcast or webshow. I've had too much fun to quit now.

No comments:

Post a Comment