11.23.2011

worky work and the funky bunch

Current Mood: *headdesk*

Trying to take a bite out of the backlog of "one post a month" goal...

In just a few short weeks I'll have been at my research assistant job 1 full year. Yay! No more "rookie".

Things are a bit different than what I expected. When I first started I was pretty worthless, mostly cleaning the lab and doing gruntwork for the upperclassmen that already worked there. I tried to find ways to be useful, but scheduling problems and lack of access (seemed like I was the only one who didn't have a lab key?) made progress very difficult. I felt a little bit like a loner, to be honest.

Then after gritting things out for a semester, it seems like everything changed. I didn't apply for a University Residences job (breaking a 5 year streak) and instead worked full time at the lab for the summer. Most of the older students left, and three new guys (my age, sort of) joined. I knew them a bit from class, but I wasn't that close to any of them.

Summertime, we busted our asses. We gutted the lab next door, cleaned and re-tiled it, moved equipment, and painted everything. Got some funding for new machines and got some donations/expert advice from a company in Indy that does composites. Made a ton of projects and some of them were great, others crashed and burned. Working there M-F 9-5 was a different beast - much more productive but very tiring. Got to know my coworkers a lot better - we all get along quite well and don't have problems like the previous employees did, apparently (I heard there was a girl involved, and things got messy...).

From the way Professor S. talked about things when I was hired, I thought I might be doing some engineering type things, working on papers and equations. Reality? Not so much. I pretty much do the same things as everybody else, and I guess that's okay, I don't know that I would really be qualified to do composites engineering stuff right now anyway. Sometimes I get a little hesitant at work because we change what we are doing so frequently, it's hard for me to get used to a routine. Our projects are very iterative, but with small changes, and sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of it all.

Because of my class schedule I don't work as much as my supervisor and Professor S would like, and sometimes I can't tell if they're just joking with me or not about a lot of things. Also I missed the chance to TA for our composites class (the very class I took last fall that led to me getting this job), though I may be a part of an Advanced Composites class in the works next year?

At any rate, most of projects are progressing pretty well. I like my teammates a bunch, even though they're much different than me (totally guy's guys, waaay different music [dubstep??], things like that). There was talk of trying to patent one of our projects, but the fervor of that seems to have died down...

Anyway, unless something majorly unexpected happens, I should have this job next semester as well. Beyond that, well, I'd love to have an internship, something different for the summer. I'll be applying to a few places, but if not, I'll try to work there again in the summer. I don't know that composites are what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it's a big area of development for aviation so I know it'll be great for my resume when I graduate. Also I think my mechanical/shop skills have improved simply by being there, which is good too.

I am getting pretty worn down some days, though. Between class and work I'm at school pretty much from 8am to about 6 or 7pm most days, sometimes longer. I feel like I live at the airport! Now I have a bit of spending money, but the apartment is a mess and I don't have the free time I would like to relax at home. Good thing I retired from the Ship of Fools, eh?

Not a very coherent post, but for anybody trying to keep up with my life maybe that's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment