8.06.2007

fake finale

Current Mood: hot
Current Music: "Where You Goin' Now" by Damn Yankees

Edit: Pretty much everybody is encouraging me to go, but it is my brother's enthusiasm that won me over. I'm getting tickets for us and hopefully it'll be time well spent together. He's all about DL.

Purdue University recently announced that "his holiness" the Dalai Lama of Tibet will be giving a public speech here in October. I'm having a sort of mental debate about the whole thing...

To see
* The DL doesn't give many public speeches, much less at universities, so this is a rare event that I should consider taking advantage of.
* Many people listen to what he says as a worldwide leader of peace and things.
* A chance to hear a world leader speak and impact students.
* I consider the event to have enough of a cultural bent for it to be stretching myself in terms of experiencing new things.

Or not to see
* $20.00 for student tickets, or $50.00 for "gold seating".
* I'm not exactly clamoring to hear anybody speak on "cultivating happiness".
* I'm rather apathetic to the entire concept of the Lama, and it feels fake for me to go because "I should".
* I find the concept of deciding a child to be the 14th reincarnation of a spiritual figure and giving him a title to go with it a little hard to accept.


Thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel about the guy and this reincarnation thing. By your profile, I understand you are more of the intellectual type. I can relate to that.

    I am personnaly atheistic, but I still cannot discard other's beliefs because of that. Who's right and who's wrong? Who knowns.

    The important think here is that the guy has some interesting things to say on a human level and it wont cost you more than a good restaurant or a movie with popcorns and drinks.

    Sorry for my english, I am a french guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, without thought or hesitation. The beliefs of Buddhism, Taoism, and eastern thought are something that can be drawn on from any basis of thought, especially atheism. The man is a genius.

    Some people (like me) would give there left nut to see him speak, so my vote it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So he's about to stiff me so I say, "Hey Lama, how about something my way, you know for the effort." And he says, "There will be no money, but on your death bed, you'll receive total consciousness." So I've got that going for me.

    See him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask him if he ever got Winamp back for whipping his ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, I'm sorry I didn't understand that and made you feel so old.

    Bradley, perhaps you could make a trip up here? I could get you a ticket.

    Pierre- hello! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else and say you should go. If nothing else, it will give you something interesting to blog about later! I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just go damnit, I'll buy the tickets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul,

    I appreciate your classic winamp reference.

    Your fellow oldie,

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah!! I want to go!

    Please go. You may remember that I made my first and only trek to New York City a couple of years back, because His Holiness was speaking in Central Park. I recommend it whole-heartedly. And if mom can't bring Bradley up, I'd be MORE than happy to... ;)

    ReplyDelete