8.04.2007

a delicate subject

Current Mood: hungry
Current Music: "Tim The Die Hard Packer Fan" by Bob & Tom

I can't say for sure, but I think the stereotype of low-quality dorm food at colleges is fairly pervasive. I think that student nutrition on the whole is a thorny subject- the Freshman 15 can be (and is) blamed on all-you can eat style serving, or lazy students who don't exercise, or even the large quantities of pizza and beer consumed in lieu of healthy meals. That all said, I just wanted to say that I think dining at Purdue University is pretty damn good. I sometimes complain about eating here, but overall, I think Purdue works really hard at providing good food and service to the students here.

I've only eaten at a few other universities, but Purdue had a number of clean, well lit, colorful dining halls with many options and a commitment to providing different kinds of food. The dining halls have won several awards for design and international foods. Best of all, University Residences is completely self-sufficient, so students don't pay anything extra for the master plan for upgrading all of the dining courts.

Case in point: the other day at Hillenbrand Dining Court I got to try thresher shark for dinner. I hate seafood, but I thought it was awesome to be able to try it (and it kinda made me feel like a badass).

4 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda jealous that I didn't get to eat a shark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they don't *say* they're charging us for the 'master plan'... and the dining halls really are nice. But we definitely pay for the quality-- my meals this year will come out to about $10 per meal. I realize that other schools may pay similar amounts without the quality we get, but I still think it's steep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an interesting documentary on youtube about campus food:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I am contacting you today on behalf of Digital Artist's Sep Kamvar and Jonathan Harris. A few years ago they started a project called "We Feel Fine" (http://wefeelfine.org) Since August 2005, We Feel Fine has been studying human feelings from a large number of weblogs. Every few minutes, the system searches the world's newly posted blog entries for occurrences of the phrases "I feel" and "I am feeling". When it finds such a phrase, it records the full sentence, up to the period, and identifies the "feeling" expressed in that sentence (e.g. sad, happy, depressed, etc.). The result is a database of several million human feelings, increasing by 15,000 - 20,000 new feelings per day.

    We are currently working on a book about We Feel Fine to by published by Simon and Schuster. In assembling the book we have searched through millions of feelings captured by We Feel Fine in hopes of selecting our favorites. One of these selected statements and images was authored by you.
    You can view the image here :http://www.wefeelfine.org/data/images/2007/08/04/PSiqs4iqsyDBQ0tTCcJZSw_full.jpg
    And the statement reads : “I hate seafood but I thought it was awesome to be able to try it and it kinda made me feel like a badass"


    I am contacting you today because we wondered it you might be willing to let us include your image in the book. You would be joining several thousand other strangers who are also participating with their words and pictures, taking part in a new kind of experiment in mass authorship.

    Please let me know if you would be interested in participating. It would also be a huge help if you would include your URL and email address in your reply.

    Thank you very much for your time,

    Sincerely,

    Hannah
    hannah@wefeelfine.org


    Privacy Notice:

    We Feel Fine only collects and displays data that was already posted publicly on the World Wide Web. We Feel Fine never associates individual human names with the feelings it displays, though it always provides a link to the blog from which any displayed sentence or picture was collected. Also, bloggers may make a blog post invisible to the We Feel Fine crawler or you may request for an image to be taken down from the site by e-mailing someone@wefeelfine.org.

    We Feel Fine is an independent project conceived and created by Jonathan Harris and Sepandar Kamvar. It bears no affiliation to any company or organization.

    ReplyDelete