8.16.2005

A Tale of Two Cities

Current Mood: awesome
Current Music: "Blue Moon" by The Mavericks, Apollo 13 Soundtrack

Show: Boiler Gold Rush Activites Fair
Venue: the Purdue Armory
Audience: ~4,800 freshmen and the entire BGR staff
Fools: Benji and Ryan
Comments: Somebody on campus had to represent our hilarious group for the incoming freshmen participating in orientation/BGR. With McD's for breakfast and despite the intense heat, we passed out so many flyers that Benji had to leave twice to print more. We finished an entire ream of paper as well as filling two pages of emails for our mailing list. I'm pretty confident we got the word out, even if most of the girls only took flyers because of how cute Benji is. I saw a bunch of people I knew, including Ricky (my returning BGR leader), Maddie and Allie (old BGR pals), Aaron (part of the LBurg crew), and Andy Ober (of the AOO). Yay! Great fun was had as Benji and I made up different lines to advertise (improv, go figure), and I never imagined I'd have so much fun passing out flyers for two hours. The Mad Mushroom Pizza table behind us even gave us a pizza for free!
Unofficial winner: definitely the Ship of Fools. Despite not having frisbees or ice cream, nobody was louder, more energetic, or gave away more flyers. Oh, and where was the table for The Crazy Monkeys? Oh wait, there wasn't one.


Rock the fuck on. Today is a kickass day. It's beautiful, the BGR fair went really well, and I even got my schedule changed at ENAD in a record-breaking 10 minutes. Got to see lots of old friends and free pizza, too. I think tonight I'll watch a movie. I'm even off of work tomorrow.

I had my first "official" work shift yesterday. Kathy, my boss, told me that she wants me to not take classes and work full time in the office, and that I'd "better be working in the office next year". I thought I was still having problems with the cash register, but apparently I'm doing a great job in the office. I try my best to be polite and helpful, and it just makes sense that if you're working in an office, you should be careful about your work. I caught a few mistakes somebody made earlier in the day. For that, Kathy put me in charge of basically re-organizing the entire BGR check-in statistics. Over 100 names to be filed, sorted, and double-checked. More work, but also more responsibility. I guess my attention to detail ("Mr. Meticulous") really is working to my advantage?

Oh, and I really like giving tours. People want to see rooms, and I just show them mine (standard double). I have a lot of pride in Purdue, and I really like going here. On one tour, I mentioned that Hillenbrand was half male/half female and the kid mentioned something about his previous school only having 20 girls, and he knew them all. I was like "what, did you just come from Rose-Hullman or something? haha". He and his mother just stared at me. The boy nodded.

No comments:

Post a Comment