8.17.2005

long distance pizza

Current Mood: contemplative
Current Music: "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring

I've been here fully one week. I've seen lots of familiar faces, but it's still lonely here.

I don't get it. At MWCC, I worked with 30somethings and adults. Only one other person in the kitchen was under 25, and only handful that young in the rest of the building. I spent a good portion of my time working to earn the respect of people that left me Friday nights to go bowling and drinking, and made fun of me for leaving the Christmas part early because I had an exam the next morning. It was just something I had to deal with...I felt like I had to work harder and do it better just because I was younger.

Well, the other night, after work, some of my fellow Student Office Staff members invited me downstairs for board games. I didn't know what to say. It's like...okay, we have a business relationship, and that's all I ask. We get along and get the job done. Now they want to be all friendly-like outside of work, and I don't know what to do. I guess I want to make more friends, but it feels strange.


At any rate, I've decided that going back to the kitchen next summer will be a step back. I mean, I will if I absolutely have to, but I really think something else is in order. I don't know if it's proximity, or the fact that I'm immersed in Hillenbrand Hall, but at this point I'm seriously contemplating just working in the office over the summer. True, it's not *quite* engineering, but it is Purdue. That means I would stay here over the summer, either in the dorms or get an apartment finally.



Gah.
I should stop worring about all of this and start worrying about classes that start Monday. My new schedule is spread all over the week, starting as early as 7:30 twice a week, ending as late as 5:30 three times a week.

Math 162 (more calculus)
Physics 241 (electricitiy, optics)
Computer Science 158 (C programming)
Computer Graphics Technology 163 (computer drafting)
Communications 114 (speeches)

No comments:

Post a Comment