9.06.2007

bring me some pasta!

Current Mood: so happy

This isn't breaking news or anything, but I just heard about it. Deal.

What's better than:
  • Purdue opening their season with an easy win over Toledo, 52-24 ?
  • OSU looking great without their Heisman winner, 38-6 over Youngstown St. ?
  • Notre Dame falling to Georgia Tech, 33-3 ?
  • Boise State* beating Weber State, 56-7 ?
Why, as almost anybody from Ohio will tell you, the #5 ranked Michigan Wolverines (rated to have a shot at the national championship this year) lost 34-32 to the virtually unknown Appalachian State in one of the biggest upsets in collegiate football history! Appalachian State isn't even in Division I-A (the "best" division), and it's the first time a Division I-AA school had beaten a top 25 ranked team (indeed the loss dropped Michigan out of the rankings).

David, Dan, Eric, Jamie - the time for rejoicing is now!

I don't care if it makes the Big Ten conference look like more of joke than it already is, or if it hurts our revenue- the point is that a major team paid a tiny North Carolina team (from a town of 14,000) to come all the way out to "The Big House" (Michigan stadium - seats 100,000 fans), and they didn't take it seriously. Appalachian State has won their I-AA conference two years in a row and played 100% heart all game, including some explosive speed and a clutch blocked field goal at the end.

There are some fans spouting some bullshit that a I-AA team can't "win" over such a big team, that only a top 25 can "lose". As if labeling it that made any difference - the point is that Michigan expected to stomp on them, and it ended up embarrassing them in front of everybody. As an OSU fan, I couldn't be much happier with that.


On top of all of that...
  • Purdue plays Eastern Illinois this weekend for our first home game.
  • Tonight, the NFL season kicks off with the Indianapolis Colts (who won the Superbowl last year) vs. the New Orleans Saints. This is especially big for me because everybody 'round here in Indiana is a Colts fan, but Drew Brees (Saints QB) is from Purdue.
  • Lastly, this weekend is the first matchup in my fantasy football league. My team, the Lafayette Mustangs take on Bradley's, the Cincinnati Zombies.

So excited!





*Why the hell do I care about the Boise State Broncos all of the sudden? Two words:

Trick. Plays.

They went undefeated last year (but got screwed out of the championship game because of the rating system). I think they play well, but honestly, I'm rooting for them because they run trick plays more than once a season, like most teams. Reverses, the Statue of Liberty play, fake field goals, you name it. AWESOME.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting note someone brought up this morning in my class:

    Notre Dame and Michigan losing may be enjoyable for Purdue/OSU fans, but it might also hurt Purdue's chances at a 'big' bowl. I don't know a lot about how these things work, but basically the harder your schedule, the bigger bowl you get to go to. And if two of the teams Purdue plays this season aren't as good, our schedule is considered weaker, which decreases our chances of a really big bowl game.

    ReplyDelete