3.15.2008

Fukushima dreams

Current Mood: maniacal

Current Roommate Alex has alerted me to a contest! His friend Adam, some guy living in Japan participating in the JET Programme, is giving stuff away. He needs help deciding what, however.

That's where I come in. If I win the contest, I want Japanese LEGOs.

Some backstory:

I fucking love LEGOs. I* own probably upwards of 10,000 individual pieces, and spent a good portion of my childhood income (and even some of my adult income) on purchasing sets and bricks. I asked for them every birthday, Christmas, and any other event I could bargain for.

I clearly remember my first set. It was a "Town" themed box with a black jeep, towing a black speedboat. I named my first LEGO character Jack, and it was with that set that I joined the LEGO fan club. I was a LEGO maniac (your feet quiver/your feet tap/it's enough to make you snap), I read the magazine, and I've no doubt my love of these toys is/was tied to my current studies of engineering.


So, Adam - if you're reading this, I want you to find me some LEGOs from Japan. Preferably some giant anime styled mecha LEGOs filled with little Japanese characters I don't understand. They don't even have to be official ones - I'll take knockoffs. If anybody else is reading, head on over for the official rules - anybody can enter, but the deadline is the 18th.



*Probably most accurately described as co-owning with my siblings.

4 comments:

  1. I think my first set of Legos weren't even actually Legos, but Duplos, aka big-ass Legos so little kids don't swallow them. I too was in the Lego fan club back in the day. I have many a giant Ziploc bag filled with Legos sorted by color that I presume are somewhere in my parents' basement these days, though I think the instruction guides for the sets are still in my old bedroom.

    If you win, watch out for those short round one-bump black pieces. Those were great at hiding in my old bedroom's dark carpeting and getting sucked up by a vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like somebody took a trip down memory lane. I hope it was pleasant.

    Also, I know Duplos. We have those as well, especially from when my little brother was growing up.

    Also, the term is "stud", not "bump". :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the entry!

    And sorry, but did you really make that yourself? One of the main rules was that it had to be something you created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contest results:
    http://luckyisle.com/win-random-japanese-stuff-contest-results/


    Even though your entry didn't meet all of the rules, because so few people ended up entering I'm just going to give out consolation prizes to everyone who entered, rule-following or not.

    In short, I'll still be sending you something. I'm also assuming that you and Alex are still at the same address, correct?

    ReplyDelete